How to create a media strategy for your startup
7/02/2023. Nowadays, social media is a must in every communication campaign, since it’s a great way to generate visibility for your startup and it helps generate feedback with your audience. The use of social media must be planned and that’s where the media strategy takes place.
A media strategy is essential when launching a communication campaign. It’s a planification of how and when the message of a startup, brand or business’ communication campaign will be transmitted and which platforms and channels are going to be used in the process, in order to achieve the maximum impact.
That’s the reason why the Opentop team wants to give you a guide of how to create a great media strategy for your startup. Grab a pencil and a paper, and take notes!
The steps to create a media strategy
1. State your objectives. The first step is to establish your objectives. You need to ask yourself what do you want to achieve with your communication campaign, and the answers to this question will be your objectives. It’s fundamental not to establish general ideas as goals, and one way to do this is using the SMART method, which will tell you how your objectives need to be: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-based.
2. Identify and analyze your target audience. Knowing your audience it will be easier to be right when creating your message and selecting the media and channels to transmit it. For that reason, you must know your target audience and what they want to see on social media, what are their media habits, their interests, their average age, their culture background, how they communicate, etc. To sum up, this step is essential, because the more you understand your audience, the more accurate your strategy will be.
3. Design your strategy. Once you’ve identified your objectives and target audience, it’s time to design your strategy keeping in mind your budget. At this step, you have to think about the message you want to communicate and how you will do it. You will likely need to craft several messages tailored to each segment of your audience and each channel, instead of always using the same one. The aim of the message is to connect with your audience and to transmit your startup’s values, so this is a critical step.
4. Decide the media, channels and formats. It’s time to pick which media you want to use and whether they will be online or offline. The best option is to opt for both and, in online platforms’ case, to use a mix of them and not to limit your campaign to a single social media platform. In this step you must keep in mind which are the most used platforms by your audience.
5. Establish the timing. Dates and periodicity have so much influence in the campaign’s success. You need to establish the duration of your campaign in your strategy and bear in mind moments through the year like the holidays, special dates as the sales, the different seasons, etc. because you can either take advantage of them or they can be damaging for your campaign instead.
6. Evaluate the results. Once you’ve launched your campaign, it’s time to evaluate the results, both during the campaign and when it has come to its end. At this step is when you are going to discover your campaign’s impact, and it’s vital for changing what isn’t working and to know each format and platform’s effectiveness.
Tools to create your media strategy
This guide doesn’t end here, from Opentop, the Valenciaport innovation HUB, we want to also give you a list of very useful tools that can help you in your media strategy:
In short, creating a media strategy is fundamental to the success of your startup’s communication campaign. And now that the Opentop team has given you the necessary steps to create your own strategy, it’s time to put them into practice!
If you want to discover more about Opentop Valenciaport innovation HUB and its initiatives, take a look at our website!